Vor ziemlich genau einem Jahr besuchten wir einen thailändischen Kochkurs beim wunderbaren Chef Tummy auf Koh Phangan.
Hier eins der vier Rezepte: ein ausgefallener Karotten-Salat "SOM TAM SALAD NORTHEASTERN THAI STYLE":
- Carrot, 1 cup grated
- Chillie – try one Thai birds eye chillie – you can add more if is it not spicy enough for your liking
- Tomato, 1 medium, cut into 8 slices
- Garlic, 1 clove/1 teaspoon, minced
- Sugar, 1 teaspoon
- Lime juice, 1 tablespoon
- Fish sauce, 1 tablespoon
- Peanuts, 2 tablespoons, hard outer shell removed, toasted in a dry pan for about a minute until lightly toasted
STEP 1: Dry roast the peanuts in a dry wok over medium high heat to give them a smoky flavor. Add 2 tablespoons of shelled peanuts to the pan and stir constantly to prevent them from burning for about one minute. Remove the peanuts from the pan into a bowl and let cool.
• This salad gets it flavor by the bruising action of mashing the carrot, tomato, peanuts, garlic, and chili into a rough crushed mix with the lime juice, sugar and fish sauce.
• Add the garlic and chilli to your mortar or mixing bowl. Pound gently for about 10 seconds to break up the garlic and chilli.
• Add the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and peanuts to the mixture. Pound gently for 20 seconds
• Add the tomato. For about 10 seconds alternate between pounding and using the long handled spoon to scoop and mix the ingredients.
• Add the carrot. For about 10 seconds alternate between pounding and using the long handled spoon to scoop and mix the ingredients.
• Taste to see if you have achieved a balance between salty, sweet, tangy/sour and spicy.